Baltimore’s emo act Have Mercy has gone through some drastic changes since founding a over half a decade ago. Only a fraction of the band, which began as a standard rock quartet of guitar, bass, drums, and vocals, now remains. Swindle is the only founding member still playing under the moniker. After listening to this album in its entirety the question that will be on your mind is simple, "Why aren't they bigger by now?". Make The Best Of It is a deep album dealing with themes of family, emotional vulnerability, and both metaphorical and physical death.
We did a short interview and here is how it went.
1. For those that aren't familiar with your music give a quick background on the band.
We're a rock band from Baltimore. We started back in 2011 and things have been busy ever since.
2. With the recent release of “Make The Best Of It” what has the reaction been like so far?
The reactions have been great! Majority of people love it and we definitely see that when we play the songs live.
3. Creating music never seems to stop for you, what can fans expect this year from you?
We'll be touring a lot. We have been booking things back to back to stay busy but when we're home we'll be working on new tunes.
4. How's tour been?
Tour has been great. I love the bands we're out with and the line-up is really diverse. Bands from all different genres.
5. You've been traveling with Real Friends, what's the show response been like?
It's been really good. It feels like a new beginning for Have Mercy and fans seem very excited about what we're doing.
6. The site is called You Make The Scene, for me it came from the idea that the fans are really in control of their music scenes, they decide who will make it and who won't. They control how their Scene is viewed. What does the scene mean to you?
It gives us a place to fit in, really. The scene has given us some of the best fans we can ask for and we've made a lot of lifelong friendships from being involved. I think every band feels the same.
7. Lastly, shamelessly plug anything you'd like.
Pick up the new record. We're extremely proud of it and think everyone will like it.